Left - you have updates to apply
Right - something crashed
Installing Linux (single-boot) on a mac
Ignore all the guides out there that talk about Refit. Just pretend it’s a PC.
- boot from Linux CD
- Clear the partition table (using Gparted and create a “MSDOS” table)
- Install Linux (normal partition stuff applies—must be marked “boot”)
- there’s a “bless” command to run from the Mac OS X install cd that will make it boot more quickly
Updated Rails 2.2 with patch for CVE-2013-0156
Rails 2.2 Security Patches
CVE-2012-2695 and CVE-2012-5664
A patched version of rails: https://github.com/drasch/rails/tree/2-2-stable
monkey patch for rails 2.2 for CVE-2012-2695: https://gist.github.com/4440606
monkey patch for rails 2.2 (no modifications necessary from 2.3 version) https://gist.github.com/2921706
“Engineering is about planning. Are you being intentional about your plans and discussing the tradeoffs with your team?”
Managing I/O in your web app
1. Decrease or distribute writes
2. Decrease or distribute reads
Poll: encouragement vs challenge?
Are you more motivated when told you can or when told you cannot do something?
“ttyrec is a tty recorder. Recorded data can be played back with the included ttyplay command. ttyrec is just a derivative of script command for recording timing information with microsecond accuracy as well. It can record emacs -nw, vi, lynx, or any programs running on tty.”